Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dustin the Turkey and BoB Geldof- RAT TRAP

This post is as lazy as the Irish Eurovision entry. Nonetheless RAT TRAP showcases what I consider to be Bob and Dustin's best work.




Dustin has been tamed down in recent years though on occasion he continues to create remarks of ridicule about various Irish celebrities and the services provided by RTÉ. Also as a builder he conforms to stereotype, going on continual tea breaks, and indicating that he is prepared to do dodgy deals with anybody, including certain politicians. Uniquely in Irish public life, he has not received any reprimand or'gagging request'



He released his Greatest Hits album in 2001, which featured just two new songs, a Christmas version of Bruce Channel's Hey Baby, called Hey Santa, and a dance remix of Sweet Caroline. On November 4, 2005, he released his first new single for 4 years, Patricia the Stripper, a duet with Chris de Burgh aka Christy Burger. On November 11, 2005, he then released a new album, also his first for 4 years, called Bling When You're Minging.

These albums have featured backing vocals from many Irish stars including Bob Geldof, Boyzone and the late Joe Dolan. Many of his songs are parodies of either folk songs or well known chart hits from across the decades. He famously made the news in Britain one year when he was number one in Ireland with his songs Christmas Tree and Rat Trap (a cover version of the Boomtown Rats song which he sang with Bob Geldof, and made fun of him throughout), when in just about every other country the Christmas number one spot went to the Spice Girls with their song 2 Become 1.so says wikipedia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well , I'm more offended than anythingelse. I have always had a soft spot for Dustin , but sending him to Eurovision was a step too far. I mean I bet he never thought it would go that far! I don't blame him for taking it, it was his opportunity to get world media attention, at least in Europe anyway, so of course he went, but I can't really forgive the organisers for the joke they have made of Eurovision. I mean Eurovision was the lovely shiny mystical magical burst of international music that , as a child blew me away every year. I'm gutted that it has been reduced to this. We need to up our game and get over it , send a real artist for once rather than a turkey like we have te last few yrs running!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the fantastic work!

Feel free to visit my web page: registry cleaners